Sunday, January 20, 2013

Island Life

I had been seeking a good spot for my hammock on various Thai islands, been to so many beaches, long and short, sandy and rocky, busy and quiet. Finally I found a perfect place for it on a small Koh Mak island, so small that you can walk to the other side of the island in 15 minutes. The island is star shaped and only 16 square kilometers in size. The sea is turquoise, sand has a golden color and coconut trees are swaying in the wind. And this is my home for these three weeks.

Prior to Koh Mak, Nina and I spent couple of days in Koh Chang. We started to feel that our bodies need something more than just laying on the beach. So Nina set up a boot camp for us. We run on the beach, did sit ups, push ups, burpees, squats... And not only once but every day before we left the island. Hey guys there at Spartan Sport Center (my favorite gym), hire Nina and you will get the toughest cross fit couch ever!

Still our bodies sore after Nina's boot camp we arrived to the Ashtanga Yoga retreat of Petri Räisänen and Wambui Njuguna in Koh Mak. I felt that not only my body but also my mind needs some stretching.

The first morning when I was entering the yoga shala, it was still dark and quiet, just some birds and other tropical animals awake, I smelt the exotic incense, heard the Ujjayi deep breathing of the early bird yogis mixed with the loud ocean voice, and I became emotional. How lucky I am to be here, right now, in this precious moment.

 











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, it is good to know that some of us look slim and fit :) Nina could make miracles happen with me too, so don't let her fly back home, put her to Helsinki plane instead, I willbe waiting for her. It really looks like a different world and so nice. As you notice these winter months are starting to be too much, once again. Pia