Friday, February 8, 2013

Island of Magic and Beauty

Fifteen years ago my husband and biked around Bali on a small, funny moped. Between the green rice fields and ancient temples. Now I am back here on my own, settled in Ubud, the center of Art and Culture. A small bohemian village has become a lively center of holistic living, yoga, meditation and living foods. Spiritual seekers from all over the world are coming here, some traveling in Indonesia, planning to spend two nights in Ubud and ending up staying for two weeks.

Ubud and it's surroundings are truly fascinating, the greenest green rice fields and coconut groves, ancient temples and spirit houses. The village is so compact that I cycle around easily, to the yoga studio, to the restaurants and cafes, to see a fire dance, monkey forest or a spiritual ceremony.

After a quite intensive time in Thailand I needed my own space and time, so now I have a huge room overlooking to the rain forest and a family temple - and I haven't had the need to talk that much to anybody yet... I have joined different yoga classes, Hatha, Iyengar Inspired, Yin and Restorative with hanging belts. I also tried Vinyasa yoga once, but that was to me like a poor version of Ashtanga, too confusing.

Nidra Meditation was relaxing and refreshing. I haven't tried the flying yoga or partner yoga yet... It is interesting to do something different for a change and get new perspectives. Some teachers emphasize the yoga of the mind, some concentrate on the physical part of the practice. But you can always combine asanas, pranayama, meditation in a same practice, despite of the teacher.

It feels good to be here, without plans or guide books. I will leave to the other islands when I am ready. Experiencing, not performing.









No comments: