Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Off The Beaten Track

Now we are talking! The easy traveling part is over. I needed that, but now it is time to a real traveling. I had already started to miss the less touristy paths. I have traveled through Flores, Indonesia, by bus and motorcycle and stayed in small villages. I am currently in West Timor, heading to East Timor (Timor Leste).

Rainy season, cold water showers/ buckets, squat toilets, land slides and road blocks, odd food, unreliable transportation, tribal villages, extraordinary views, volcanoes, green islands, hot water springs and waterfalls, friendly and hospitable people...

I have met some very special people on the way. Brian and Ros, young parents with sick babies manage their hard life with a power of love and hope. Jeni, an Indonesian divorced lady at my age decided to travel with me to Kupang in West-Timor, where she has family. With her I have visited many brothers, uncles, aunties and cousins. I have been quite an attraction, because bule (foreigner) is not an everyday sight here in West Timor.

Along the way in Flores, I met few some other nice bules, one couple from Lithuania and two different couples from France. We hired a local guide in Bajawa and visited traditional villages. William Doi is a name of that highly recommended guide.

In Timor I haven't seen any other bule yet. Besides Indonesian language, I have learnt some French. My motto for now is "C'est parti mon Kiki"!
























7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! You've really been able to capture the moment. There is so much life in each one of them :) Travel safe!

annamari said...

Nice to hear that you are still going strong, and lovely pictures!!!
All the best!
Talviterkkuja Suomesta! t. Annamari

Imppu said...

Great pics! Greetings from Turku, we can already hear the birds singing and there are lighter and lighter every day :)

Anonymous said...

Hej Seija,
lovely blogg, nice to hear from you again, was afraid something happend at the island with big lizards! How is the asana yoga practise?
Love & Light from Sweden!
/Petra

Tytti said...

I also have to say that you take amazing pictures!! Are you sure you weren't suppose to be a photographer? ;)

Seikku said...

Thanks Tytti, I could consider being a photographer traveling around, so if somebody wants to hire me and pay for it, pls contact... :-)

Seikku said...

Hi Petra, I sent a comment here already earlier but it seems to be vanished!? That seems to a problem with this Blogger. Anyways, about my asana practices. My salutations have been more to the mountains and sea than to the sun. It means that the right time and place for asanas will come later... maybe in Sri Lanka next month? Love from Lombok, seija