Sunday, May 26, 2013

Be A Traveler In Your Home Town

My friend Nina thought me how rich in culture my home town is. She visited me from Canada a couple of years ago and when I showed her around I learnt a lot about The City of Turku. What if you spent a day as a tourist in your home town? Go to a museum, a traditional food hall and a medieval castle. Visit different small shops and boutiques you have never been to. Enjoy people watching in an outdoor cafe. And pick a city festival you don't normally go to.

How about a modern or a classical music festival, a circus or a performance festival or the traditional Ruisrock, festival in a middle of a national park and by the sea. There's also a medieval market, a city marathon, a new potato festival... just to name few.

I cycled around the city today and spotted many interesting things, see the pictures below.

Winter pale roses in our back yard.
A banana tree wellcomes residents and visitors at the back door.
Guess what fruit tree is this in our courtyard? It is a fig tree!
You can find this kind of atmosphere in our backyard, right in the city center!
This 5 cm tall lady was stretching by the riverside. I spotted many miniature statues along the river promenade.
This tiny bronze statue brings a smile in your face.
Knitted graffiti!
I hope this graffiti will stay to the end of the summer. 
Another kind of city art.
This elf is a bit scary!
This graffiti tells a story.
There is a story here as well.

2 comments:

nina said...

One of my young customers wants to travel to some Scandinavian places when he's done university. I told him about Turku and what a neat place it was. Thses pictures bring back nice memories!

Seikku said...

Just send him over! I would take him to the Rock Festival in middle of the national park. And to the islands, boat cruises, parks, art galleries, bars... and... and...!!!