Saturday, December 22, 2012

Back to Bagan

People ask me often if there's any place in the world I would like to return back one day. Even though I have kept going back to India and other countries, Myanmar (Burma) has always had a special place in my travel memories. And I have always remembered Bagan as something very special, like an open air museum, where I wandered around almost alone, surrounded by thousands of deserted and ruined temples, pagodas and stupas.

And it didn't let me down when I returned back, it is still so unbelievable, that no words or pictures can describe it. You have to live it yourself, cycle around the dusty fields, get happily lost and have a flat tire, chat with the young postcard sellers, be amazed by the ancient monuments from the 11th century AD, tell people million times what's your name and where do you come from...

As you have seen in these pictures, Burmese people have this fascinating face painting tradition. Women, children and sometimes also men paint their faces, sometimes their arms and legs too with this paste, made from some tree. It has a cooling effect and it also works as a sun screen. I tried that too, and my new make up style received compliments from the local people.

There's more travelers now and the prices have gone up crazy (for tourists), my 5 dollar guesthouse is now 50 dollars, and I am not kidding! The travel industry is not owned by the government anymore and people here are learning and developing the tourism, so sometimes the situations are amusing and sometimes annoying. Be understanding and patient when traveling in Burma!

I am so happy to be able to share the unique experiences of this wonderful country with my husband who is now travelling with me. Because the internet connections here are not always so reliable, I take the opportunity now to wish you all Very Happy Holidays!








 


5 comments:

annamari said...

Merry Christmas to you both!!

Nice to hear of your travels. All the best and enjoy!

-13 here, but sunny!

Unknown said...

Leppoisaa Joulua ja elämyksellistä vuotta 2013!

Anonymous said...

Hei ! Ihanaa katsoa värikkäitä kuvia, täällä kun on lähinnä tuota valkoista :) Täällä voidaan hyvin, perjantaina oli viimeinen työpäivä, outoa. Iso halaus sinne ja oikein hyvää joulua ! Terveiset Askolle. Pia

Silja said...

It has been a pleasure to read your travel stories and enjoy nice photos!

Merry Christmas to you and Asko - and a Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Onpa kaunista ja värikästä! Kokemuksena varmasti unohtumaton. Ihanaa joulunjälkeistä aikaa ja rutkasti onnea uudelle vuodelle! -A-