Saturday, December 1, 2012

Nostalgia on Khaosan Road

After the meditation retreat I had a week to kill before meeting my husband in Bangkok. I wanted to relax on the beach, eat well and read a good book (I recommend a book: "Pilvikartasto", original name "Cloud atlas") so I went to the nearest beach of Bangkok. Unfortunately I didn't like the atmosphere of Hua Hin or Cha Am, it is just not my cup of tea. And it rained every day. So I got back to Bangkok.

I am staying in the Khaosan Road area, where I stayed 15 and 11 years ago. It is not the same anymore. The old hippie backpacker feeling is gone. I was disappointed at first, but then I found the small alleys and quieter nearby streets and loved everything again. It is not only the area that has changed, but I must have become more comfort seeking during these years. I want my neighbourhood to be less crowded and noisy, I want a comfy bed and a private bathroom with a hot shower, now I even have a roof top pool in my hotel. I am spoilt.

Yesterday I wanted to have a unique movie experience. So I went to the luxury shopping complex where they have this VIP lounge. You will first get a foot massage, then you'll have your own sofa, blanket and pillows, popcorn and coke. And before the movie starts everybody listen to the national hymn, standing. I didn't even know what the movie was about, before it started. It was about tsunami in Thailand (title was "Impossible"), so I watched that  tsunami disaster with mixed feelings on my safe sofa. But I think it was a good remainder of the impermanence of everything. Everything. 

I have met some very interesting people on the way. Lia, the young and wild Brasilian who had worked and traveled a year in India and China. I hope to meet you in 2014 in Brasil, Lia! And Cinzia, ambitious Swiss PR Consultant, who left her successful career for months to do volunteer work in Asia and Africa. Safe travels an be happy, Cinzia!

One very special person is Bruno. He is from Switzerland and travels one month every 6 months, mainly in Asia. He is 79 years old. Bruno has been married 52 years but her wife doesn't like Asia, so he travels alone. They have traveled together in Africa and Far East, by their own car! Bruno has traveled almost everywhere, and he has this spark in his eyes when he talks (with limited English) about his journeys. I really met my soul mate.

Juan is a charming Spanish guy, who I met on his first days in Thailand. He has a great attitude: no big plans before hand, just improvising. With his open and honest nature, I am sure he will have unforgettable 20 days, and will get many good tips how to cook Thai food. Together with Juan an Julie, a stylish French writer who lives in the Filippines, we sat in a street restaurant last night very late (or very early). We went quite deep in our discussions, how interesting to hear different perspectives of life. The world looks much better now after all that talking, right? I wish I'll have a chance to visit Julie in the Filippines some day. And I hope she will publish her oncoming book also in English.

I never actually look for anybody's company, I am happy on my own. But I believe that some people are meant to meet each others.
Khaosan Road as it is today


Lia having breakfast at Mr Yim's

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oho, millainen leffakokemus. Mielenkiintoista! Niin hassua ajatella, että olet tänään postannut äskeisen siellä kaukana ja mä makaan kuumeessa täällä lumen ja pakkasen keskellä:) Uusiin ihmisiin tutustuminen aiheuttaa euforista maailmankuvan laajenemista tosiaan. Mutta sen täytyy olla jollain tapaa vapaata. Joskus sama fiilis on tullut myös töissä haastatellessa...varmaan sullakin.

Anonymous said...

Kommentoi siis äsken Heidi L

Anonymous said...

Mahtavia matkakokemuksia! Olet mielettömän rohkea ja upea nainen!

Terveisin Sirpa L Turusta

annamari said...

Nice to hear that you are ok and meeting all these wonderful people. I wish I could travel...

All the best and enjoy your trip.

Frosty regards from Kaarina

Anonymous said...

On ollut erittäin mukava lukea matkakertomustasi. Odotan uusia tarinoita. Leväpellon Kirsi

Anonymous said...

Ihana lukea näitä sun kirjoituksia ja matkakertomuksia. Loistava ulosanti ja tapa kertoa näkemästäsi ja kokemastasi. Nauttikaa tästä kuukaudesta ja matkustakaa turvallisesti! -A-

Meditation Retreat said...

Meditation often involves an internal effort to self-regulate the mind in some way and can help in clearing the mind and ease many health issues, such as high blood pressure, depression. I really like you thoughts.