Saturday, December 29, 2012

From Golden Pagodas to Sandy Beaches

I could have easily spent an entire day at Yangon's Shwedagon pagoda complex. But we had to get out to hunt something to eat. And that is not an easy task in Burma if you are vegetarian. Or at least if you want to eat something tasty, not just to fill your stomach. We ended up to the Strand, which is a elegant Victorian-style hotel. We decided that we have earned this luxury and spent our last dollars in delicious meals.

One major difference I noticed in Yangon (Rangoon) after fifteen years is that the soldiers with their machine guns, are no longer on the streets. And people talk proudly about Aung San Suu Kyi and have her picture visible. That could not have been possible few years back. There's certainly a big hope in the air, things are getting to the better direction.

When we flew back to Bangkok, the city of 4000 Seven Eleven -shops, it was like entering a western world. It seemed so organized, easy and familiar. But don't get me wrong; I loved Burma once again and would have liked to stay there longer, explore the other parts of the country, especially the countryside. Next time, then.

This morning in Bangkok I saw my husband off back to Finland. After I had cried my eyes off, I packed my backpack and left to a small island of Koh Samet. I have four more months to travel before returning back home.

In Koh Samet I got a (highly overpriced) room or actually a bungalow for two nights, and I hope I don't need to camp on the beach at New Year's Eve since every place seems to be full. But my home is where the way is... as what Snufkin (Nuuskamuikkunen) says.

Happy New Year!



 





3 comments:

Rva Pioni said...

Happy new year Seikku!
I became you reader after chritsmas
when I met few people in Huittinen
who told about you.
I like your blog and respect your courage.
I hope you enjoy your journey and life there.
Be joy and safe there!

annamari said...

Toivottavasti vuoden vaihde sujui hyvin! Happy travels in 2013

Jenni said...

Mahtavaa Uutta Vuotta 2013 sinne aurinkoon Seija! Kuulostaa kyllä upealta sun reissu, ja vielä on matkaa jäljellä :) Itsekin vaihdoin maisemia viime vuoden puolella niinkin pitkälle kuin Paraisten rannikolle opintosihteerin sijaisuutta hoitamaan :)