Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Amazing Atauro

Just couple of days on the island of Atauro in Timor Leste felt like a week. Dolphins swam and  jumped next to the boat, like welcoming to this remote and beautiful place. I stayed in a simple hut which to my surprise and delight didn't blow away in a tropical storm. I met many of the islands friendly people just by walking along the road, they always stopped to smile and say "Bom Dia". It is hard to believe that this paradise island used to be a prison not so long time ago.

I had a great snorkeling with Danish dive instructor Jens Peter from Compass Charter's. As an inexperienced in water sports, I felt completely safe with Jens, even though his Australian-Danish accent was sometimes hard to understand... :-). The reefs are so intact, and some are just there to walk from the beach, you just have to watch out not to step on the bright red sea stars.







2 comments:

Tytti said...

I have a godson in Timor Leste through Plan! His name is Alexandrino (5 years old) and seems quite cute :)
My friend also has visited Timor Leste and loved it. Great to hear you have had a good time too!

Seikku said...

Well, Timor Leste was not exactly the highlight of my trip, interesting indeed, but I was happy to get a flight back to Indonesia...