Thursday, March 14, 2013

Caka New Year 1935

After all that rain I was after sun! When my flight arrived to Bali, I took immediately another flight to Lombok. It was raining. I traveled through Lombok, and finally found myself on a small island just outside Lombok. It was sunny and dry, good food and laid back people. My bed was comfy like at home, I had a hot shower, got all my clothes washed, went snorkeling and swam with turtles. How lovely is that! 

I was lucky to be able to witness a Lombok Wedding ceremony and after that experience a Balinese New Year. Ogoh-ogoh, giant monster puppets, were carried along the main streets and at the end they were torched, a symbolic act of destroying all the negative and demonic elements of the universe. When the flames died out, the people in Bali were ready for the total silence that marks the new beginning. 

The total silence, called Nyepi, means that the next day and following night people are not allowed to go outside their homes or hotels and have any lights on. Even the hotel workers had to stay in a hotel. That also meant that all shops and restaurants were closed, there were no transportation in or out of Bali. No TV or Internet connection. So there I was, in a Balinese hotel, had a New Years dinner in March, glad I had a flash light. How would that work in our western life? 

After that relaxing day of silence I flew in and out Jogyakarta in Java Island. It is said that the world biggest Buddhist monument is a must see as well as some other sights. But, I found myself quite soon wandering around the tradition markets and the side streets. I am more impressed by people than monuments. 

During all these years I have been fortunate to explore beautiful Buddhist, Hindu and Jain temples in Asia, Maya temples in South America, mosques in Muslim countries, Chinese temples, woodoo temples in Africa, cathedrals in Europe... So I guess after some time you just get "templed out". 

I am grateful to have met new great people again. I shared the excitement and also the angst of traveling in Timor with Michael. Good luck with your unique cafe concept in New York! I will come and check it out. I danced bare feet with Laurie in Lombok. Hey Girl, you really got some positive energy! 

I wish all the best to the young German couple who were recovering from a motorbike accident in Gili T. I had great time with Elsa and Lorraine, exploring the wonders of Yogyakarta. We felt like movie stars after all those "may I interview you please" and "can I take a picture of you". Our pictures must be on quite many Indonesian FB pages. Safe travels to both of you!












No comments: