Friday, April 12, 2013

High Rocks and High Tea

I was glad to realize that I am not totally numb to new ancient temples after all. At the end of my one month trip to Sri Lanka, I visited a most incredible ancient cave temple with wonderful frescos and statues. Dambulla cave temples (3rd century BC) are built on a high rock, so you have to walk a little (and beware of the nasty monkeys trying to snatch your purse).

I had an interesting conversation with a very smart, fluently English speaking South-Korean nun. As a conclusion to our discussion, I understood that it is a men's world in the Buddhist organizations too!

I somehow survived the five hour long bus trip to Colombo. 4 o'clock High Tea at the verandah of Galle Face Hotel was one of my trips highlights. Time seemed to stop when I sat there, facing the Indian Ocean, enjoying tea, cakes and the atmosphere of this 1864 built graceful hotel.

The last leg of my travels in Sri Lanka was a 35 km train ride to Negombo. It took 3 hours! I had to change trains two times for I guess "technical reasons". I was pushed and dragged by all those people who were rushing to their homes to celebrate the Sri Lankan New Year on the coming weekend. I won't be here to celebrate the New Year (April 13th - 14th) because tomorrow morning I am taking a short flight to the Maldives!








1 comment:

Imppu said...

Have a great time in Maldives! Can't be too bad :)