Monday, April 8, 2013

The Ancient Cities

After I left Tangalle and yoga, I spent some time on the west coast. I had nice afternoon tea and "mocktails" in the luxury colonial hotels of the old town Galle. I stayed in a (not so luxury but cosy) Muslim family guesthouse and was able to follow their busy everyday life. Staying in the old town, inside the old Dutch fort, was like being in another country, surrounded by beautiful architecture, small cafes and boutiques.

I intended to stay longer time in Unawatuna beach, but I got bored already after two nights. I needed some adventure. So I took an eight hour long train trip to Anuradhapura, an ancient city further up north. I enjoyed the long train trip, all windows and doors open, changing landscape, people coming and going, sharing biscuits and short eats.

Anuradhapura is an ancient city with lots of ruins and old pagodas. So is Polonnaruwa where I headed next morning. Couples of hours bus ride took me there and I scared to death again. A tuktuk, three wheeler, took me around the old ruins in Polonnaruwa. But because I am more or less temple tired by now, I wasn't so crazy about all those piles of old stones. It was time to move on again.

After some more crazy bus rides I found myself in Sigiria. I found a guesthouse where I wanted to settle down for couple of nights. Most travelers pass by Sigiria fast, only to visit the huge rock. But I found this small village interesting. I climbed up the Lion Rock as well, and marveled the ruins, caves, ponds and frescos there.

Many travelers complain about the ticket prices you have to pay to get in to these World Heritage sites. They share tips how to sneak in without paying. I don't really get it. Think how little you get with that 30 $ at home, but with that same money here you can help to maintain historical sights.

I did do something almost illegal however. I went on a tuk tuk safari! A tuk tuk driver Sampa took me to see the the wild animals right outside the Natural Park. The wild elephants were calmly eating grass on the side of a busy road. They seem to be same kind of nuisance here as elks and reindeers in Finland, roaming sometimes on the roads and farms, destroying the gardens. I was told not to walk after 6 pm outside my guesthouse because of the wild elephants.

So I didn't support the government natural park program, but the local economy instead (my tuk tuk driver Sampa). I saved almost thousand rupees, which makes six euros! And as a bonus, I got a nice cellulite massage on my bum during that bouncy tuk tuk ride.

I also did some bicycle safaris on my own. I spotted peacocks, many different kinds of monkeys, giant squirrels, a snake, a turtle, butterflies and birds in different colors and some creatures I don't even know what they are. Sri Lanka is definitely a nature lover's paradise.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hyvä ruoka, parempi mieli ;) Hieno blogi! -Toni, Sigiriya

Seikku said...

Loved to hear that you found my comment on the wall of the restaurant in Sigiriya! Especially now when the winter and snow hits Finland, my Mind Travels back to Sri Lanka... :-) Mukavaa ja turvallista matkaa, Toni!