Monday, November 26, 2012

Art of Living

10-day Vipassana Meditation Course is over. I am so happy that I completed the course, although it was hard, very hard. The hardest part was not the silence, which I actually enjoyed, but all that sitting. My knees were almost killing me. I could write a book "100 different poses to sit on a meditation cushion". But I still didn't find one pose to sit still and comfortably all those more than 10 hours per day. But I understand that comfort was not the main point here.


I hope to be able to keep up the practice, because I know it is beneficial in many ways. I think that  Vipassana has exactly the same aspects as what Jon Kabat-Zinn teaches as Mindfulness. Professor Kabat-Zinn has successfully combined meditation and yoga in helping people to cope stress, illnesses and pain. I see that also (Business) Coaching has it's roots in Dharma (that's my personal view); isn't it wonderful that you can use this 2500 year old philosophy and method in today's business life. Be aware, observe your sensations, remain equanimous. That latter English word was new to me, it means to completely accept what you are experiencing, moment to moment, without to struggle, to avoid or get away, without craving, grasping or trying to hold on.

I was thinking about the silence. It really calms the mind. You can focus better, be more attentive and aware. What if you and your colleagues will start your next board or team meeting with 10 minutes silence (or even one minute)? Or have one office day in a week with minimum communication? Or have one quiet evening in your busy family life? What do you think could happen?


7 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!! Good for you! Tom said they would have kicked me out by the end of the day. I think I'd go crazy alone with my thoughts. Maybe you can teach me when I see you (SOON).
Again WOW!

annamari said...

sounds good.

would like to try silence, but sitting sounds painfull... ouch.

Happy journeys!

Anonymous said...

Hyvä Seija! Nyt vaan 2h vippaskonsteja päivässä, siitä se lähtee :)
t. Sannu

Imppu said...

You rule, Seikku! I wouldn't manage to be in silence for so long, even though I like silence a lot. Keep on going:)

Anonymous said...

Mua tietysti kiinnostaa, mitä tuo 10 päivää opetti, mutta ehkä se on liian laaja kysymys?

t. Heidi L

Seikku said...

Heidi, 10 päivää opetti paljon, mutta paljon, paljon on vielä oppimista. Elämä on. Mm. hengityksen ja kehon tuntemusten tiedostaminen luo tyhjää tilaa ajatusten virrasta, synnyttää tietoisuutta ja tuo tähän läsnäolon hetkeen. Tietoisuuden kautta voi elää täydemmin ja vähentää kärsimystä tapahtumat hyväksymällä. Opimme siis puhdasta Dharmaa, Gautama the Buddhan opetuksia 2500 vuoden takaa, universaalia luonnon lakia, ilman minkään uskonnon muotoja, riittejä, palvomista tms. Jos haluat vaihtaa ajatuksia vielä tästä aiheesta niin jatketaan gmailila.

Anonymous said...

En tiedä pystyisinkö olemaan hiljaa 10 päivää, mutta tuo muutaman tunnin (tai minuutin) hiljaisuus päivittäin ei olisi pahitteeksi. Tästä olisi ihana kuulla lisää kun tulet takaisin - vaikka lounaalla Kasviksessa ;) -A-